6 Ways Charities Teach People Self-Sustenance and Livelihood
1. Financial planning education
Many people grow up without learning the ins and outs of saving and investing. Non-profits such as Savvy Ladies teach women how to plan their finances.
The organizations run various programs to offer free advice on how to handle money. The platforms often used for teaching include:
Free advice helplines are usually popular among individuals who want to understand a specific tax law. They’re also popular among women looking for reassurance whenever the market flows and ebbs.
Whereas webinars are accessible to individuals or groups worldwide, in-person seminars are specific to geographic locations.
2. Educating girls to take up male-dominated jobs
Men hold 82% of finance jobs, leaving only 18% for women. This creates room for growth in the industry.
Non-profits such as Invest In Girls are passionate about changing lives. They focus on educating the young generation to become financially literate and take up jobs in male-dominated fields.
The organizations inspire girls to develop interest in science and finance fields so they can join the workforce and narrow the gender gap in STEM fields.
The organizations’ volunteers rotate across different schools to teach young students personal finance skills, including what careers in STEM fields are like.
The program trainees also get into summer internship in relevant sectors to gain hands-on training.
3. Supporting women in challenging careers
Many women struggle with their careers. For many, career paths are more strenuous like hiking peaks and valleys instead of straight arrows shot into the sky.
Non-profits such as Women Employed aim at helping women boost their economic status and eliminate economic equity barriers. Other roles of such organizations include:
- Fighting sexual harassment
- Challenging controversial policies
- Fighting unjust laws
- Protecting women from pregnancy discrimination
Employed women experiencing challenging situations at work also get help from such non-profits. They get assistance teaming up with governments and local communities to foster change.
Politicians also get help from such organizations to affect change and encourage people to vote.
4. Mentorship and grants to start businesses
Non-profits also mentor individuals and motivate them to take up leadership positions in the society. They encourage women with great ideas to apply for grants on a yearly or bi-annual basis.
They use the funds to start businesses after receiving teachings on the same. For instance, the Girl Boss Foundation gives up to $15,000 to individuals for taking up entrepreneurial projects.
The organizations also offer press and networking opportunities to grant winners.
5. Financial literacy programs and handcrafting skills
Non-profits such as the Akola Project in Uganda help women learn handcrafting skills to help them earn a living. The organizations teach women how to make items such as jewelry and related accessories to sell and earn a living.
The organizations also employ the women for a higher wage or empowers them to begin their own business startups. Additionally, they undergo financial literacy programs to learn how to save, spend and invest.
The organizations help their beneficiaries elevate their lives above poverty.
6. Organizing fundraiser events to raise capital
They bring women together through dinners, meet-ups and galas to raise funds that go into supporting their preferred companies and causes.
Women also receive hands-on training on how to create business plans, start and run businesses, and even raise capital for the same.